Pages

November 13, 2013

SAVINGS IN THE KITCHEN

Last week, my Mother's Market food bill was $108.60.  That is down from about $194.00 per week of food for 2! That is, when I am running to the market after work every night, scrambling for ideas for dinner.

By sitting down and making a weekly menu, I saved around $85 bucks!  When you are in a hurry, and not prepared, it's all the little splurges that will getcha at the checkout.

This week, I sat down, checked out where ALL of my local framers markets are for every day of the week.  For Californians, you can find yours here.  I wanted to see if I can save even more by staying focused and buying local.

One trick to the farmer's market is to get there early enough, before the sun starts to heat up the produce.  I left this morning with a $51 limit (because that is how much of my last bill was spent on fruits and veggies alone) and off I went.

The result?  

Another savings of $39.19!!  Now, what I did not tell you is that this amount also included my big splurge on a bag of almonds for $9 and a loaf of bread!  There are a couple of items that I still need to go out and get that weren't available today, but, I don't have much, so I know it will not topple my savings.

So get out there!  Rain or shine, there are markets going on, and they make for a fun outing.

Remember:

*GO OFF OF A WEEKLY MEAL MENU (I know they take some time, but in the end, not only will you save money...you will also add some variety in your meals and get to try some new recipes=)

*MAKE A SHOPPING LIST (it's easy to get side-tracked)
I found these at Target, but you can make your own.  They help with meal plans AND the shopping list. 
*WASH YOUR FINDS AS SOON AS YOU GET HOME AND STORE THEM PROPERLY
SEE HOW TO STORE FRUITS AND VEGGIES HERE.

Share how you save money in the kitchen.

Have fun and healthy day!!









No comments:

Post a Comment