Pages

November 11, 2013

MEATLESS MONDAY MENU

I first started to incorporate one meatless meal a week into our daily life about 4 years ago.  Even though I had tried to kick the meat habit since my early 20's, it always seemed so daunting.

I always tried the "all-in" approach.  Then, the one meal a week idea started to take off and I thought, "I can do THAT!".

This was one of the first meals I tried on my husband.  I thought, if HE likes it, being from Louisiana, the Land-of-delicious-cuisine, then I can move forward with others.  

So, on this Veteran's Day Meatless Monday, I thought I would share.

The recipe comes from one of my favorite books.  Tal Ronnen's "The Conscious Cook".  
 
This is for the "Agave-Lime Grilled Tofu"

Ingredients:
1 lb. extra-firm tofu
1/4 cup light agave nectar
1/2 cup soy sauce (he suggests shoyu soy sauce, I had low sodium on hand)
3 garlic cloves, smashed
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 2 limes
1 1/2 tablespoons lightly packed brown sugar

Prepare the tofu by cutting it into 8 (1/4" thick) slabs. (Prior to cutting, I press my tofu in a towel for 20 minutes to get rid of any excess water) In a bowl, combine all remaining ingredients for the marinade.
Pour over tofu and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.  After tofu has marinated, place it in a single layer on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 15 minutes. (RESERVE THE MARINADE)
While tofu is baking, pour the marinade into a small saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until reduced to a syrupy glaze. (About 8 minutes)
The tofu can now be grilled on an outdoor grill or grill pan.  Here, I just placed in a fry pan.  Grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until grill-marked.  Turn over and generously slather on the glaze on each side.
Tal serves his with Asian Slaw and Mashed Sweet Potatoes...I chose to serve over brown rice and a side of bok choy.  

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment