Pages

November 21, 2012

HAPPY DAY-BEFORE-TURKEY (OR "TOFURKEY") DAY!!


Well, it's the wonderful time of year again when the air is crisp and the leaves are falling. There is something about this time of year that is happy and nostalgic.  For some, it's a time of reflection and solemn pondering. 

No matter your mood, it can always use a little lift.  Today, I am making the cranberry sauce for our gathering in the mountains tomorrow and I have decided on this recipe.  Thanks to Susan at Savoring Time in the Kitchen, it is a simple and different twist on an old favorite.  


But, don't hate me...I might just have to take one can of the ol' canned jelly too =) 


I said I was feeling nostalgic...



ENJOY

Makes 3 cups.

1 packages (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries (no need to thaw if frozen but I always use fresh during the holidays)
1 cup dried cherries
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1 cup sugar
2 cups water

In a large saucepan, combine cranberries, cherries, sugar and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until most of the berries have burst and liquid is syrupy, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

Cover, pressing plastic wrap directly on surface of relish and refrigerate.

Make Ahead: Can be made up to two weeks ahead and refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment